sexta-feira, 4 de setembro de 2009

Discurso final de "Prayers for Bobby."

Como disse há um mês, aqui transcrevo aquele discurso...


"Homossexuality is a sin. Homossexuals are doomed to spend the eternety in hell. If they wanna to change, they could be healed of their evil ways. If they return away from temptation, they could be normal again. If only they would try and try harder if it doesn't work.

These are all the things I said to my son Bobby, when I found out he was gay. When he told me he was homossexual, my world fall apart. I did everything I could to cure him of his sickness. Eight months ago, my soon jumped over a bridge and killed himself.

I deeply regret my lack of knowledge about gay and lesbian people. I see that everything I was tought and told was bagetry and dehumanizing slander.

If I had investigated beyond what I was told, if I just listen to my son when he puted his heart out to me, I would not be standing here today with you, filled with regret.

I believe that God was pleased with Bobbies kind and loving spirit. In Gods eyes kindness and love are what it's all about.

I didn't know that each time I echoed eternal dammnation for gay people, each time I refered to Bobby as sick and perverted and dangerous to our children his self-estime, his sense of worth were been destroyed... and finally... his spirit, broke beyond repair...

It was not Gods will that Bobby climbed over the side of a freeway overpass and jumped directly into the path of an eighteen willtruck which killed him instantanealy. Bobbies death was the direct result of his parents ignorance and fear of the word "gay".

He wanna to be a writer. His hopes and dreams should not have been taken from him but they were.

There are children like Bobby sitting in your congregations. Unknown to you, they will be listening as you echo "amen"... and that will soon silence their prayers... their prayers to God for undestanding and accepteance... and for your love.
But your hatred and fear and ignorance of the word gay will silence those prayers...

So... before you echo "amen" in your home and place of worship, think... think, and remember... a child is listening."

Um comentário:

  1. To doido pra baixar esse filme. Devo fazer isso essa semana.

    Respondendo ao seu comentário no blog:

    Agradeço o comentário e espero que você leia isto...

    Lidar positivamente com algum preconceito? Desculpa mas não entendi o que você quis dizer com isso.

    Exatamente pelas diferenças serem facilmente constatadas que não vejo porque fazer alarde. Eu como negro não preciso dizer pra ninguém: "sou negro". E mesmo as diferenças não tão visíveis aparecem com o contato. Diferenças na educação, de religião, de cultura. Elas existem, devem ser respeitadas. Constatadas elas já são. Faz parte do ser humano reconhecer as diferenças. O problema está em querer dominar, como você disse. Em achar que o "seu" (não teu) diferente é melhor e deve ser imposto sobre o outro.

    Não pensei em negar o que mostra a história. Pra mim isso seria no mínimo ingênuo. Com os erros do passado que podemos tentar corrigir o que pode vir.

    Mas acho que concordamos. Acho absurdo culpar alguém por ser branco somente por ser negro e oprimido, pois este não escolheu nem nascer muito menos em quais condições. Negro, brasileiro, gay ou o que mais. Tanto quanto quem nasceu branco, hétero e sueco.

    ResponderExcluir